This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Day 253

Its been unseasonable cool in Louisiana the last month, so I'm doing what I can outside. However, I must say I am very pleased with progress. I've probably put 10 miles on the chop in the last few weeks. Just padding around the neiborhood becoming more comfortable on it everytime I ride. She left me stranded the weekend before last due to a failed charging system. Well, after pushing it home and trouble shooting I found the battery wasn't charging. Thought I might have had a bad reg/recifier or stator. Turns out I just did a crappy job of wiring. Straightened that out, and the battery is staying charged with no problems. The wiring is still crappy, but once I feel everything is solid, I'll take a weekend and wire everything up right.

This past weekend I [finally] got my kickstand welded onto the bike. Not a great job, but its mine, and I can say I did it. My biggest concern right now is my exhaust pipes. These are a set of MAC drags I got on the cheap. They are wayyyy to low. Probably only 2 or 3 inches off the ground. Its seriously effecting my ability to lean into turns. I'm going to try turning them out a little bit and see if that gives me the clearance I need.

Carbs are the next issue. The last time I tryed to start it with the set of carbs that I rebuilt, it wouldn't start. So I had to go back to the carbs off my stocker. I think I want to take those apart again (the carbs I rebuilt) and soak the bodies in carb dip and see if that helps. I jetted up to 120's, and the plugs look good, but had a little bit of white on the tips (lean condition), so I'm gonna try 125's.

Got to put a new set of races in the neck. I feel like such a tool! When I put the races in the neck, I thought they were a little tight, so I shaved a little off them to make them easier to drop in. Bad idea! Now when I hit a bump, the neck feels like its about to rip off the frame. Lessen learned...you have to bang the races into the neck for a reason.

So thats where I'm at. I'm heading to pick up a 77 750 in Arkansas this weekend. Fighting a cold, so I hope I'm feeling better by then. Gonna spend the night with Senica J. while I'm up there. Its always a good time at his place.

Cheers!!!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?