This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Day 18-The plan...

Pretty cool last couple of days. Put about 40 miles on the stock 78 CB750 on Saturday. She ran like a dream. Stretched the motor out for about 10 or 15 miles over 70mph with no problems at all. Spent yesterday tightening up the cam chain tensioner. Had some knocking coming from the engine, so thought I'd go through the process of tightening the chain for maintanance sake, and just to say I'v done it. However, the engine noise did not change any after I was done. From what I gather these motors are pretty noisy, so I think its typical.

I've made a decision on how much work I want to do with the project motor. After much deliberating and question asking, and taking into consideration my skill level, I have decided to just do the top end of the bike. This will include, new head/valve cover gaskets, new rings, valve adjustment, and possibly a new Cam Chain. I'm fairly confident I can do all these tasks myself (with the assistance of the manual of course) and this will keep $$$ to a minimum...I'm hoping under a $200. After the engine work I plan on removing the motor from the stock bike (which I want to clean up anyway) and putting the project motor in and putting miles on it to tune it. At that point once I feel confident the motor is solid it will be ready for mock up in the chopper. And the saga continues....
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?