This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Day 22-Head is off...

I was pretty proud of myself yesterday. After about 2 1/2 hours of work I got the cam and head off of the donor motor. Was fairly straight forward had a stuck bolt on the cam that gave me a little scare. It was in an odd spot, and I thought I had stripped it, but I was able to get to it with a pair of channel locks. Also the manual wasn't great about showing where all the bolts were keeping the head on, so I muttled around with trying to get the head off for a while until I found all the bolts.

When I pulled the head off I was surprised at how bad the inside looked. Alot of gunk and sludge all on top of the pistons and valves. Not sure if there is any serious damage or not. I hope to find that out this weekend. I'm think'n I'll pull the cylinder out and completely tear the head apart. Clean all that up, and if everything looks OK figure out where I want to go from there. Basically sounds like I'm back to the original plan I laid out on Day 18 (at the very least). I'm hoping all looks solid below the cylinder...lets keep our fingers crossed...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?