This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Day 3 - The pickup

...here we are at day 7. Last weekend was a bear. I did a world wind tour of the South East to pick up the bikes I won off ebay. Took a 1/2 day off work and left Baton Rouge at around 11am CST. Had been worried about the weather all week, and though it wasn't bad when I left BR, I ran into ran at about hour 5 or 6 before I got into Atlanta. Not to mention the check engine light on my little '95 Nissan truck I bought about a month ago is coming on and giving me greif. After a long night I pull into Charlotte at about 2am. I'v got a cousin there, so I crash at his place for the weekend.

Up at 9am on Saturday. I'm depending on directions I got off Yahoo to find this guys place so I can pick up the bikes. Yahoo says its about an hour from my cousins place in Moresville, NC. Fast forward 3 hours and I'm sitting in this guys yard somewhere on Lake Norman. Hes not home and his adolesent son says he'll try and get him on his cell. Kid comes out of the house 30 minutes later and says to follow him...the bikes aren't there, there at somebody elses house. Why am I not surprised? So I follow this kid to a church where the kids dad is doing a constructon job. The kids dad is not there, but he hads me off to the dude that has the bikes at his place. So I follow him another 30 minutes out of Mooresville to a Modile home, and sure enough there they are strapped to the back of a 12ft flat bed trailer.

Me and "haus" get the bikes in to the back of my truck. Pull my back out doing that...haus was making me do all the heavy lifting...there my bikes...I guess he has a point. So I leave there and have to meet another guy who has the keys and titles. He has the keys, but his dad has the titles in his truck. After trying to get a hold of his dad on his cell for 15 minutes we decide they will mail me the titles so I can be on my way.

Up at 4am Sunday morning for the treck back to Louisiana. It took 14 hours to get to NC...and I extimate is will take about 16 to make it back. The truck can pull the weight of the bikes OK. However having the bikes straped in the bed of the truck makes the truck real top heavy, and going faster than 55mph would put me in a fatal speed wobble.
I pull in to Baton Rouge at 7pm. Success!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marklocklear/detail?.dir=8c67&.dnm=9301.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marklocklear/detail?.dir=8c67&.dnm=7fe5.jpg&.src=ph
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?