This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Day 33-Waiting on parts

...patiently waiting on parts. Everything is on order, and if I'm lucky will be here by the weekend. I'm just hoping I can get my gaskets in this week. If I can get the gaskets in, I can put the head back together. Hopfully my search for an exhaust valve is over. I noticed some CB750 stuff for sale on Ebay from a guy in New Orleans. I sent him an email and this guy has like 8 CB750s! No choppers...all stockers and Cafe Racers. Anyway, I sent him an email and he says he thinks he has an exhaust valve that will work. I'm planning on rolling up there Saturday. I'm anxious to check out his collection too.

So all the time off has given me time to work on my polishing skills. I was just planning on cleaning the aluminum up nice, but then I see this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4545643998

Oh my God! I didn't know aluminum could look that good. So I'm think'n minds gotta look like that. I pulled by gear cover and stator cover off and went to work with my dremel tool. Well, I found out real quick the dremel tool just ain't cut'n it. It does a good job, but it just doesn't have the surface coverage...would take months just to do the gear cover. I went out this weekend and bought a 10,000 RPM grider/buffer. This sped this up enormously. Heres some pics of progress:

This is before using the dremel:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marklocklear/detail?.dir=8c67&.dnm=49b9.jpg&.src=ph

...now with the grinder/polisher:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marklocklear/detail?.dir=8c67&.dnm=944b.jpg&.src=ph
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?