This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Day 35 - Rear wheel woes...

I'm really wavering on the route I want to take with my rear wheel setup. Here is the delema. I have two options with what to do with my rear wheel (really three), either the stock Honda CB750 wheel or a wider tire in the 175-200cm range. Option 1 is the cheapest and easiest route. That is to simply use a stock honda CB rear wheel. These wheels are plentiful and cheap. The DesignCycle frame I'm planning on using will accept this wheel with no problems. Options 2/3 are to go with a wide tire rear wheel setup. This is purly asthetic, but gives the bike a hard edge like no skinny/whimpy wheel can. Of the wide tire options are using a Harley Davidson (HD) setup or a metric sport bike wheel. If I go with an HD wheel, the setup is pretty easy and I simply make sure DesignCycle knows I want to go with a wide tire and they will deliver the appropriate frame to handle it. The problem here is cost. An HD wide tire setup will be in the 500-700 dollar range. Ouch!!! Thats the whole reason I got into metric bikes, the parts are cheap. Even looking for stuff on Ebay I'm still in the 500+ range. The cheap wide tire option is to go with a sport bike wheel. This would be somthing like a CBR or Yamaha R1/6 wheel and tire. These are resonable plentiful and can be aquired for around $200 on Ebay. The challenge here is application. The wheels and brakes don't just bolt on out of the box. While the wheels are plentiful all the little washers/parts and axles are not. There are alot of the wheels on Ebay because guys replace there stock wheels with customs. So when they go to sell them, thats all u get is the wheel...you don't get the other stuff you need to run/mount the wheel.

The more I think about it the more I think I will go the KISS (keep it simple stupid!) route and use the stock honda wheels. Success is important in a project like this. I'm already starting to feel the pressure of the build just with the problems I've ran into with the motor (bad valve guide). Its important that I complete this project. I hope this will not be the only project I will ever do. So I think its important to be realistic and stay within my budget goals for this project. Once I get through this one, I can sell it on ebay an tackle a new project next year and challenge myself a little more next time. And the beat goes on...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?