This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Day 36 - Bad valve guide

The last few weeks all I've been doing is cleaning up the head and jugs. I got all my parts I was waiting on this week - complete gasket set and piston rings. Got the rings on last night with no problems. Now to the head. Last week, while cleaning up the head I found a chipped valve guide. The is the small cylinder that the valve runs through. I had two choices. One was to just fix the SOB. This would cost about 200 bills, thats including having the honda place replace and ream the new valve guide. The other was to just say F' it and put the head back together and just hope for the best. I don't think this was as risky as it sounds. I had pretty much made up my mind I wasn't spend'n $200 to fix it...not when their are complete donor bikes out there for that much. Besides, the chip in the valve was pretty small, and the valve still seated OK, so I think I would have been OK with it. However, you are taking a change, and u never know when u'r barreling down the interstate at 80 mph when u'r gonna here a "POP!" and there goes u'r engine. I posted this on hondachopper.com and a brother in Texas has a complete head hes gonna give me for shipping. So for $20 its worth the peice of mind. The only concern I have is this head is for an F model, whereas the motor I'm rebuilding is a K model. There were some slight differences, but the guys on hondachop seem to feel it will work OK, so thats what I'm go'n with. At least I'm gonna give it a try. The head should be here middle of next week. I'll get my jugs on this weekend, and maybe I can have the thing put together by next weekend.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?