This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Day 120

Greetings from chopper land. I have an update on my last post. I found where my the electrical system was shorting out at. When I put the engine back in the stock bike about 6 weeks ago, I did not put the front drove sproket back on because I'm a lazy bastard. On the CB750 theres a nice fat bundle of wires that comes out of the gear shift cover, right by the front sproket. Well, without the sproket cover on, this allowed that bundle of wires to rub against the sproket and chain. I was fiddling around that area earlier in the week, and that nice bundle of wires was rubbed raw. One of the wires was about 90% worn through. This speaks to a much larger facet of my personality. Ok, I know this is getting deep, but its Friday at 4pm and I need to kill 30 minutes, so here it goes. I'm the type of person that has to see it, and understand it to believe it. Example, when was little I used to love to jump on the back of my dads van as he was pulling down the driveway. He'd tell me not to do it, but I'd run up behind the van after picking up the newpaper everyevening after school, and as he would pull down the driveway to our house (about 100ft or so) I'd run up to the van then jump on the latter that was on the back (you remember the 80's style vans with the latter on back). Anyway one day I ran and jumped on the back, lost my footing (probably cuz dad stomped the gas), got drug about 20 foot, then made a split second decision to let go cuz I didn't want my dad to know he was right, then as I let go I tumbled and rolled another 10 feet. Anyway, point being I have to internalize something before I will abide by it...and more so than others. This carried over into my young adulthood. I remember in the Army my drill seargent told us to pack gloves one morning when we had a road march. It seemed warm enough out and I didn't see the need for gloves. Well, after almost getting frostbite from cold hands and being miserable on a 3 hour march...I never forgot my gloves again. And now as a mechanic we see the same thing. I knew the front sproket cover need to be put back on, but I didn't see a good reason (other than it looks nice) for it to be on. Well, after being stranded 30 miles from home and having to call my wife to come pick me and the bike up...I'll never neglect to put a front sproket cover off again.

In other news, I got an email from cycle one yesterday, and my frame is on the way (see left). Only problem was it does not have the drop seat that I wanted. Rather than wait for them to fix it, I just told them to refund me the $50 I paid for it and get that puppy in the mail. Should be here in about a week.



Frame Specs: 6 up, 4 out, 40 degree rake
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?