This blog is chronological description of my 78 CB750 chopper project which I began in April 05. SOHC (Single Over Head Cam) CB750 motors were produced by Honda from 1969-1978.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

What does it mean...

What does it mean to be a biker? Does it mean anything at all? I have road some type of 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle since I was 12 or 13 years old. That doesn't define me, but I think it does say something about me. What does it mean to be a biker, and does it matter what you ride? Are there inherant differences in someone who rides a CBR and another who rides a Harley? Or is there some common bond between the two, that when stripped down to its bear essence the two can stand on some sort of common ground.

I think there is a natural evolution to motorcycling that everyone will evolve to if they ride long enough. The last evolution is that of the chopper, or the custom bike if you will. It is not bound by the constraints of stretch or rake, but only by the riders imagination. The desire to sit back meditate on what one wants in a motorcycle, and then build it for themselves. Not so much the physical act of building it, but the act of building what you want, what is asthetically pleasing to you and no one else.

I think I was searching all those years. Don't get me wrong...I've loved all the bikes I've rode. Nothing can beat the power of the CBR I rode for 3 years. Nothing coming off the line and pushing 135mph in a 1/4 mile. And I have great memories on my Harley. Honestly I think my honda chop will be the best of both worlds. The power and acceleration of a sport bike, and the stance and attitude of a cruiser.

At the heart of it I think I love these bikes (SOHC's), because they are what Harleys used to be. In the 60's & 70's Harleys were a novelty. Not a lot of people rode them, and there wasn't a dealership on every corner. When you wanted to work on it, you had to scrimp/scrap, beg-borrow and steal for parts. Thats how it is with these SOHC's. Now-a-days everybody has a harley. Their not the exception, they are the rule. If you need parts and you are lucky you'll find the parts at your Honda dealer, but more times than not it means wading through Ebay or contacting other folks who ride.
Comments:
i like this post a lot. for me, it's a cafe rather than a chopper, but it's what i'm going through with my cb400 right now. turning it into the bike i see in my head when somebody says "motorcycle."

btw, got here from SOHC4
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?